The Caetani Cultural Centre is set on 1.5 acres of park like grounds with a 6,000 sq. ft. heritage house, nine on site studio/workspaces and a reception courtyard, all within walking distance of downtown Vernon. The centre offers a schedule of community arts based programming that take place both on-site and at partner venues. There is an extensive library of art books, laundry and free internet on site.
C3 currently provides 2 shared accommodation rooms, 3 long-term single accommodation suites, 9 studio/workspaces, and seasonal programming onsite, offering a unique setting for both local and visiting artists to explore and express their creative process in the local community. As well, the Centre works with outside organizations to provide access to off-site studio spaces and equipment wherever possible.
Visiting artists and writers are provided with a furnished private room and a dedicated private studio/work space, with shared kitchen, washroom, library and common areas. We anticipate additional residential spaces coming available in the future as our program develops.
FEES: Some of programs are sponsored and provide accommodations at no charge. The Self-Directed Programs have an associated fee for accommodations and studio space. Please check with your program of interest for details.
Sponsored programs provide accommodations and studio/workspace free of charge.
- Fresh! AiR Art & Environment Theme, Sponsored with the Allan Brooks Nature Centre, May – October annually
- [email protected]: Writer in Residence, Sponsored between Caetani/Kalamalka Press/Okanagan College, held annually in October
- CeramAIR Ceramics Residency, Sponsored with the Arts Council of the North Okanagan, 3-4 months, January – April
- Self-Directed Residencies – these have a modest fee associated with the stay and are normally not sponsored
- All fees are in Canadian funds, and pro-rated on the length of stay.
AIR Program fees include private room, and studio/workspace and shared residential accommodations (private bedroom, shared kitchen, bath and common areas).
- 2 Private bedrooms are available (each with queen-sized bed, closet and storage, and desk with chair).
- Double occupancy may be considered (there is a fee for this).
- Additional nights/weeks are pro-rated @ the nightly rate.
- The fee does not include travel expenses, food, health insurance, art materials, shipping, exhibition costs, or other personal expenses.
- Most participants apply for grants to institutions, foundations, universities, government agencies, etc. in their country/province of origin to assist with funding.
- Pricing is tiered based on the length of the residency and the specific needs of the proposed project.
- The Caetani Centre does not provide daily cleaning of the studios or rooms, or daily meals. Residents are expected to maintain their studio spaces and rooms, shared common areas of the kitchen, bathroom and other common areas in a clean, tidy and orderly manner, with respect for the other residents using the space.
Shared Residential Accommodation:
- Caetani Room: Suite – 19’ x 14’-2”, (5.8 m x 4.3 m) Check Availability
Writer’s Live/Work space (no separate studio) – $15/night, ($450/month)
Visual Artist accommodation paired with Ninfa or Heriot Studio – $20/night ($600/month) Includes clean workspace for writer/researcher within the large room. Can be paired with the Ninfa or Heriot Studio on-site studios for visual artists or those applicants needing additional creative space.
- Sermoneta Room – Check Availability paired with Ninfa or Heriot Studio – 12’-4” x 9’ (3.75 m x 2.75 m)
- Fogliano Room – Check Availability paired with Ninfa or Heriot Studio – 10’ x 10’ (3 m x 3 m) $10/night, ($300/month)
- Shared 4 piece full bathroom
- Shared kitchen/dining area.
- Shared communal gathering space in the Library
- One parking space onsite
- Bed linens, towels, and cleaning supplies are provided by the Centre.
- Coin operated laundry onsite
- Access to Internet, and Library
- Artists are responsible for their own travel, health insurance, food requirements, materials, equipment, and should have their own transportation.
The studios for the self-directed programs are located on the grounds of the Caetani house, and paired with accommodations in the house. Please see below for specifications. We anticipate additional studio spaces coming available in the future. The Caetani Centre has several partnerships in place with existing cultural organizations in the community for additional off-site studio and equipment possibilities.
Studio Space: Modest studio/workspaces located on the Centre grounds are included in the overall fees.
Approximate Studio Measurements:
- Ninfa Studio: Footprint: approximately 12’ x 14’ (3.7 m x 4.3 m)
- Ceiling Height: approximately 8’ (2.44 m)
- Heriot Studio: Footprint: 14′-5″ x 13′-10″ (4.26m x 3.96m)
- Ceiling Height: approximately 8’ (2.44 m)
- Access to Internet
- Tub sink, access to water and washrooms.
Please note: There is limited access to equipment. If you have special equipment needs you should contact the Centre to ensure that this program is suitable for your expectations prior to making application. We will endeavour to accommodate special requests within the community, however we can not guarantee this.
Off-site Studio Spaces
The Caetani Centre has several partnerships in place with existing cultural organizations in the community for additional off-site studio and equipment possibilities.
Off-site studio space is available for ceramic artists CeramAIR program through the Vernon Community Arts Centre, and visual artists through the Fresh! AiR program at the Allan Brooks Nature Centre.
The Fresh! AiR program encourages artists to work out in the field and directly in the North Okanagan community. The Caetani Cultural Centre currently offers one modest studio space in partnership with the Allan Brooks Nature Centre (ABNC), located just south of Vernon in the Commonage area, specifically for the Fresh! AiR Program. ABNC offers unlimited possibilities for ‘en pleine aire’ opportunities, situated on acres of grasslands with fabulous views of surrounding lakes, city and mountains! We are a short drive away from pristine wilderness areas. It is recommended that the artist have their own transportation.
Occasionally we partner with other organizations to provide off-site exhibition or studio spaces. Please contact the Caetani Centre if you require special facilities or are interested in partnering with a local organization.
The Caetani Cultural Centre will assist in facilitating workshops, receptions, and public programming based around the participating artist’s work, if desired.
Artists-in-Residence are requested to leave a piece of art in the community, if possible.