Now accepting applications for
2018 SELF DIRECTED RESIDENCIES for Artists, writers, curators, cultural researchers, musicians and performers.
Minimum Length of Self-Directed Residency: 2 Weeks
Please read all Specific Guidelines for the Individual Programs.
Download General Guidebook – PDF
PLEASE CHECK AVAILABILITY BEFORE MAKING APPLICATION (follow links in blue below, or under Facilities on the menu) for each room or studio before making application. We try to keep the website as current as possible, however we cannot guarantee availability.
Please note: Staff are only available limited hours during weekdays. Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-1pm.
An additional fee of $5 per night is charged for double occupancy
Single bed / Small room with desk.
Queen bed / Medium size room with desk.
Single bed / Small room with desk.
Queen bed / Medium size room with desk.
The Caetani Cultural Centre offers artists and writers creative living and working spaces in an independent community atmosphere for self-directed residencies, providing time, support and room for creativity, at affordable rates.
Open to emerging and established visual artists in any medium. Writers, musicians, curators, cultural researchers, musicians and performing artists are also welcome and encouraged to apply.
Self-directed residencies are of varying lengths of time, from 2 weeks to 3 months, to suit the individual needs of the applicant. Longer terms may be negotiated if needed. Please specify the preferred time period for the residency and length of stay for project in your application form. The Self-Directed Residencies are not sponsored or themed.
The Self-Directed Residencies are not sponsored or themed, and fees are based and pro-rated on length of stay. Artists are expected to provide their own food, materials and transportation.
Please note: There is limited access to equipment. If you have special equipment needs you should contact the Centre to ensure that this program is suitable for your expectations.
Please Note: Workshops will only be accommodated for residencies lasting over 4 weeks.
All fees are in Canadian funds, and pro-rated on the length of stay.
AIR Program fees include either a live/work space OR a private studio or and private bedroom, with shared common areas: kitchen, bath and common areas). This will be specified in the contract.
- 3 Private bedrooms are available (two with queen-sized bed, Fogliano room has twin bed, clothes storage and desk with chair).
- Double occupancy can be considered for an additional fee of $5/night for the Caetani or Sermoneta rooms only. No pets or children please.
- Additional nights/weeks are pro-rated @ the nightly rate.
- The fee does not include travel expenses, food, health insurance, art materials, shipping, exhibition costs, or other personal expenses.
- Most participants apply for grants to institutions, foundations, universities, government agencies, etc. in their country/province of origin to assist with funding.
- Pricing is tiered based on the length of the residency and the specific needs of the proposed project.
- The Caetani Centre does not provide daily cleaning of the studios or rooms, or daily meals. Residents are expected to maintain their studio spaces and rooms, shared common areas of the kitchen, bathroom and other common areas in a clean, tidy and orderly manner, with respect for the other residents using the space.
Please note that the Caetani Artist & Writer Residencies are specific programs of creative exploration and study which we provide at affordable and accessible rates through our not for profit mandate to artists, writers and creative individuals.
We are not a hotel, or a B&B.
For ALL AIR and WIR programs, the successful applicant is required to submit a reservation/cancellation deposit of $200 upon acceptance to their program. This will be invoiced via PayPal and can be paid on-line in Canadian funds.
PLEASE NOTE: This also acts as a damage/cleaning deposit, and this will be refunded via PayPal following the completion of the specified program.
The Caetani residencies include a private room, and also have shared spaces (kitchen, living and bathroom). The visiting residents are expected to keep all spaces clean and tidy in a timely manner. Additional fees may be charged if we feel that this requirement is not being satisfactorily met, and will be deducted from the final refund.
In the event of cancellation by the artist after committing to the accepted program, the Caetani Cultural Centre reserves the right to retain up to and including the full amount on deposit. The Centre will make every effort to find a substitute artist to take the place of the accepted artist in the event of cancellation. A minimum $50 processing fee will be retained if another artist agrees to take your place.
NOTE TO ALL INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: Please ensure that you apply far enough in advance and that you are able to travel, have visas and passports in order and are able to accept a residency for the dates specified prior to making application. Cancellation fees and restrictions will apply.
Shared Residential Accommodation:
- Shared 4 piece full bathroom
- Shared kitchen/eating area.
- Shared communal gathering space in the Library
- One parking space onsite
- Bed linens, towels, and cleaning supplies are provided by the Centre.
- Coin operated laundry onsite
- Access to Internet, and Library
- Artists are responsible for their own travel, health insurance, food requirements, materials, equipment, and should have their own transportation.
1. Caetani Room – 19’ x 14’-2”, (5.8 m x 4.3 m)
- Large room, queen bed, small sofa, desk/chair
- Perfect for a writer/researcher as a live/work space
2. Sermoneta Room – 12’-4” x 9’ (3.75 m x 2.75 m)
- Medium room, queen bed, desk/chair
3. Fogliano Room – 9’-9”x9”-8” (2.97m x 2.97m)
- Small room, single bed
Approximate Studio Measurements:
- Ninfa Studio: Footprint: approximately 12’ x 14’ (3.7 m x 4.3 m)
- Ceiling Height: approximately 8’ (2.44 m)
- Access to Internet
- Tub sink, access to water and washrooms.
Please note: There is limited access to equipment. If you have special equipment needs you should contact the Centre to ensure that this program is suitable for your expectations prior to making application.
Off-site studio spaces may be available for ceramic artists through the Vernon Community Arts Centre, or other visual artists through the Fresh! AiR program at the Allan Brooks Nature Centre, the Science Centre. Please contact the Caetani Centre if you require special facilities or are interested in partnering with a local organization.
Based on the length of the residency, and if requested, the Caetani Cultural Centre will assist in facilitating workshops, receptions, and public programming based around the participating artist’s work. As a relatively new program, the Caetani Centre is interested in feedback and constructive criticism, and requests that the participant submit an exit survey upon completion of their project.
Artists-in-Residence are requested to leave a piece of art in the community, if possible.
Artists are responsible for their own transportation. The Caetani Centre residential accommodation is within walking distance to most downtown shopping amenities however a complimentary bicycle and helmet are also available for the resident’s use (at their own risk).
Location, location, location…
Canada is a very large country, which many visitors do not understand until they arrive here. For an idea of how large our province is, please visit this link: How Big is British Columbia?
The Caetani House is located two blocks from downtown Vernon, and is within walking distance or public transportation to shopping, as well as most public facilities and amenities. Bike trails and bus service are available in the region, and also to larger centres.
In the heart of award winning wine country, the Greater Vernon community offers hiking trails, nature centres, a public art gallery and arts centre, performing arts centre, recreation centre, Vernon Community Music School, commercial galleries, library, science centre, and shopping. We are located between three lakes: Kalamalka Lake, Okanagan Lake and Swan Lake, and 25 minutes from world class cross country and downhill skiing, and mountain biking at Silver Star Mountain. 30 minutes from Kelowna International Airport. 5 hours from Vancouver by car, 6 hours from Calgary. Vernon has a small airport with limited access.
Summer: You may think of Canada as the Great White North, however, Vernon, British Columbia can get very hot during June, July and August in particular, ranging to over 30°C occasionally. Generally, the Okanagan Valley is hot and dry during the summer months, however there are exceptions to every rule. Winters are generally becoming more mild, ranging from around +10° to -10° C, however temperatures can also reach as low as -25°C or more in late December or January. Usually this kind of cold does not last more than 2 weeks, but this can fluctuate during the winter months. In the Spring, temperatures warm up rapidly in the region, with April daytime highs reaching 20ºC. Participants are encouraged to bring a variety of clothing for all weather conditions.